Thursday, February 10, 2005

Shove it...I Mean, Shut it!

The day before I went back to my Bais Yaakov high school, I was in the uniform store, trying on my hideous uniform blouse. We decided on a size, but she only allowed us to take two home. The others had not yet receieved their "Tznius" buttons, she informed us. "Who needs 'em?" I scoffed. But she said she was under strict orders not to allow any student out that door without a Tznius button.

On the way home, I plotted to cut off my Tznius button. But then I realized that I'd be kicked out in less than a split second if I came within a mile of breaking a rule. So for the first few days, I choked on my Tznius button. In that time, I noticed that many of my classmates did not bother to close it. I couldn't yell at them, but you all know I had no problem yelling atmy own buddies. My favorite excuses are, "I have a low collar bone!" or "I wear my shirts back, so it covers..." or the not-so-creative, "It chokes me!"

Some might say it's none of my business. You're probably right, but if I was gonna suffer, so were they. Anyway, my mussar speeches did not help.

But, I got used to the Tznius button, and even grew to appreciate it. It looks a helluva lot better than a safety pin, and actually did protect me from showing my collar bone. So what's my point? That everyone SHOULD close their Tznius button, because it is a mitzvah right under your nose. As cheesy as it sounds, it's true, and it is ridiculous to it pass up.

I just think that all those kids who don't close their Tznius buttons think they're cool because they don't. They'll look like a "nerd" if they close their Tznius buttons. Well, would you rather be a nerd down here, or up there where it counts? Thought so.

PS. This piece is not self-promotional, it's telling people that if even a lowly bum like me closed her tznius button, so should everybody else!

6 Comments:

At 2/14/2005 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very impressed with this rant...good point.

 
At 12/15/2005 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girlchick, when will it enter your head-you're not a bum!(At least, your friends don't think you are.)

 
At 4/22/2007 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

idk if u read comments on ur old posts but i must say its funny to see that those excuses are universal- i hear em everyday! and i remeber laughing the first time i heard that there even was something called a tznius button but here i am wearing it closed everday and wondering why the other kids cant just get a life and close it. i know 'but it chokes...' quit whining.

 
At 4/22/2007 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes i hate this whole who do you kno business, just yesterday i was at a neighbors house when her snobby friend suddenly popped in so of course she gives me a once over and her first question pops out: so who are ur friends? uh definately not anyone that knows a creep like u!

 
At 5/03/2007 7:32 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

a junior--i sure do--where do/did you go to HS?

 
At 8/27/2008 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's a tznuis button?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home