Thursday, February 10, 2005

Shove it...I Mean, Shut it!

The day before I went back to my Bais Yaakov high school, I was in the uniform store, trying on my hideous uniform blouse. We decided on a size, but she only allowed us to take two home. The others had not yet receieved their "Tznius" buttons, she informed us. "Who needs 'em?" I scoffed. But she said she was under strict orders not to allow any student out that door without a Tznius button.

On the way home, I plotted to cut off my Tznius button. But then I realized that I'd be kicked out in less than a split second if I came within a mile of breaking a rule. So for the first few days, I choked on my Tznius button. In that time, I noticed that many of my classmates did not bother to close it. I couldn't yell at them, but you all know I had no problem yelling atmy own buddies. My favorite excuses are, "I have a low collar bone!" or "I wear my shirts back, so it covers..." or the not-so-creative, "It chokes me!"

Some might say it's none of my business. You're probably right, but if I was gonna suffer, so were they. Anyway, my mussar speeches did not help.

But, I got used to the Tznius button, and even grew to appreciate it. It looks a helluva lot better than a safety pin, and actually did protect me from showing my collar bone. So what's my point? That everyone SHOULD close their Tznius button, because it is a mitzvah right under your nose. As cheesy as it sounds, it's true, and it is ridiculous to it pass up.

I just think that all those kids who don't close their Tznius buttons think they're cool because they don't. They'll look like a "nerd" if they close their Tznius buttons. Well, would you rather be a nerd down here, or up there where it counts? Thought so.

PS. This piece is not self-promotional, it's telling people that if even a lowly bum like me closed her tznius button, so should everybody else!

7 Comments:

At 2/14/2005 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very impressed with this rant...good point.

 
At 2/20/2005 11:58 AM, Blogger The Perfect Ema said...

Michelle, two things. First of all, I was just rereading/reviewing old posts and saw that you had commented that you had updated your blog...when was that? LOL. And, as for this latest entry, you may have a point, but maybe not. Everybody is working on different things. Everybody have certain innate kochos, and everybody was raised differently so what is easy for one person may be extremely difficult for another person. My sisters in law were raised Modern Orthodox, but i on the other hand was not (always raised normal orthodox, lol, don't know what to call it.) But yet, there are things that was so easy for them to change and they may be so much better at those things than I even though they were so much more modern when younger. Just because for you the top button wasn't a big deal, but for somebody else, it may have been, even if in other areas they far surpassed you. but, kol hakavod, for closing the top button, after seeing myself in pictures from last summer in t-shirts, I have now started to always close my top button and not wear t-shirts (just for the record :-)

 
At 12/15/2005 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girlchick, when will it enter your head-you're not a bum!(At least, your friends don't think you are.)

 
At 4/22/2007 3:54 PM, Anonymous a junior said...

idk if u read comments on ur old posts but i must say its funny to see that those excuses are universal- i hear em everyday! and i remeber laughing the first time i heard that there even was something called a tznius button but here i am wearing it closed everday and wondering why the other kids cant just get a life and close it. i know 'but it chokes...' quit whining.

 
At 4/22/2007 4:01 PM, Anonymous a junior said...

yes i hate this whole who do you kno business, just yesterday i was at a neighbors house when her snobby friend suddenly popped in so of course she gives me a once over and her first question pops out: so who are ur friends? uh definately not anyone that knows a creep like u!

 
At 5/03/2007 7:32 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

a junior--i sure do--where do/did you go to HS?

 
At 8/27/2008 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's a tznuis button?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home