Monday, December 27, 2004

Jewish Publications

I have 2 completely unrelated things to say about Jewish Publications.
1) Grammar, Usage, and Typos
2) Too Censored

1) I recently spotted an ad in a Jewish newspaper that I never read, "Finnaly!..." in huge letters. Yep. They meant to write "Finally," and it's a huge word on top of the ad. Was the editor sleeping that day?

Don't mind that. In another one, on the corner- where it says the month on every page, some yokel let them get away with writing "Novmber." No joke! Hello??!?!? The only time i remember seeing that in Seventeen was when there was a contest to find all mistakes in their April Fools issue!

Also, I'm a little bit of a grammar freak. I know you can't really tell from my blog, because I am kinda out of it when I write it, hurrying between classes and all, but so not the point. Anyway, I begged to be English Editor of my high school yearbook (a whole entry in itself) so I can take a red pen to things-you know, add commas, correct spelling and reforumlate sentences...I find that too much fun. Hmm. I've actually done that once or twice to these publications because I can't stand how they abuse the English language.

Most of the time when I actually read the Jewish stuff it's on Shabbos so I can't correct it anyway,but I can't tell you how tempting it is!!
Then there's the whole censorship business. When I asked a professional Jewish writer I know about starting a teen magazine for frum girls, she laughed in my face. She said my stuff would never go anywhere, because they are censoring everything like crazy now. She said everthing has to be all flowery and positive and yeshivish. She didn't mean to insult me. Just save my efforts. So what is there for teens like myself to read? Seventeen and CosmoGIRL! which is MUCH better, right, Mr. Machmir Publisher?

6 Comments:

At 12/28/2004 6:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you go ahead and create that magazine? Try it online first, as a PDF or email and see where it goes!

---Shlomo

 
At 12/28/2004 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

True, true. I guess all that is left is to start your own publishing company! Hm.......... ~MS

 
At 12/28/2004 1:10 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I appreciate all the encouragement, but it truly is a lot harder than it sounds. I'm afraid I'd run out of ideas pretty quickly, and I don't see the appeal. If I could (which is extremely unrealistic) have a Jewish version of Seventeen featuring tznisudik fashions as well as advice from a frum shrink with a combination of Divrei Torah and entertainment news...that would be my dream. But I don't know how many people have the same crazy hashkafos as I do.

 
At 12/28/2004 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hashkafah discussion.

 
At 1/02/2005 3:54 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Thanks a lot for your useful advice! It's a huge undertaking, I don't know where to start! But if I do, y'all will be the first ones to know!

 
At 5/24/2005 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say that i agree with the others. Having read your posts i agree that you have a talent for writing. I think you should start some sort of girls teen mag. Even if it starts off as two pages. Of course since im a guy, it wouldnt be for me but thats not the point. The point is that Hashem gave you a gift and you should use it.

Yonne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home