Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Mishloach Manot

Okay, I know those of you who still visit my site (I guess that's down to ME now) are assuming I'm gonna blast the whole idea of people getting carried away with Mishloach Manot. You're right. Partially. I think that people with artistic creativity who look forward to Purim as a time to display their abilities should not be shunned, they should be admired-and they should give me some pointers. But the other ones, who are out to keep up with the Joneses, and make it all fancy...should get a life. People started buying ready made Mishloach manot-talk about defeating the purpose! My paragraph thing is broken again, but I need to address another aspect of this. Now, people are doing whatever they can to escape Purim, which I don't like. What people consider the holiest day of the year, Yom Kippur, is Yom KiPurim---a day LIKE Purim. Obvioulsy Purim is extremely holy, but people get so caught up in the Mishloach manot and the light stuff, they don't realize.Then they try to escape it. They don't want the pressure of making Mishloach Manot--you created that pressure yourself. If you wouldn't be so hung on being fancy and impress everyone, you'd enjoy Purim. If you're trying to escape giving Tzedaka---there's a reason G-d gave you all that money.

4 Comments:

At 3/23/2005 5:07 PM, Blogger EN said...

Great to have you back just in time for purim. Seriously. :) I missed you. You have some decent points.

 
At 3/31/2005 3:31 PM, Blogger Karl said...

Good to see you havent deserted us.
Its the effort that counts for MM but do we really need all that junk food anyway. I am still annoyed at the people who send cards saying they have given a donation to charity on my behalf. Is that MM?! Give tzedoko but no need to brag about it. Or waste the money sending me a card. Its also defeating the purpose. There was no effort and the thought wasnt there either - they just wanted to feel better about themselves, about not sending me MM. We need to get out of the mindset of keeping up with yennem.

 
At 4/05/2005 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Michelle,
I love your blog. Do not ever be afraid of speaking your mind, great power only comes to those who aren't afraid of anything. You're a great person, with a true heart.
Love Always,
Luisa =)

 
At 4/05/2005 11:29 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Karl--Thank you...couldn't have said it better myself.
Those cards, which I failed to mention are what I called half-as**d. If you're busy, like you're making a wedding or something, its okay for one year, but otherwise, don't bother. If you really don't like doing it, make it clear to your friends that you don't make yourself crazy and you just give two a year to fulfill a mitzvah. I don't think the buying does anything. I went to my aunt, and i made for my little cousin who's like 13, and she said, "Sorry, I only ordered 5..." What the heck is a 13 year old doing ordering?? So now she's gonna be raised without spirituality as well? Lovely. That's all we need. More unspiritual people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home