Thursday, September 23, 2004

A Long Davening Isn't Necessarily A Good Davening

My family davens in a shul that finished 2:45 Rosh Hashana. Last year, I smartened up and went to a different shul for Yom Kippur. My high school principal, who davens in my family's shul asked where I had been. I bragged that my shul ended 1:30. She was very upset that I looked like it was a good thing. It was. I actually enjoyed that davening much more than I ever had. They didn't shlep, but they didn't rush. There was no incessant yappering. Just a nice group of sincere people who wanted to daven. When I explained to this woman that I was able to concentrate better in that shul, she proceeded to convince me that the other shul was better because if i finish so early, what am i doing all day if not davening-it leads to me wasting time. I know we are supposed to be on the level of Malachim on Yom Kippur, but I am not that good. Anyway, my point is that if your shul finishes earlier than others, but you davened well, and davened everything, then you're no worse than the ones that stayed all day.

2 Comments:

At 9/26/2004 3:29 PM, Blogger Isaac Kaplan said...

Also, if anything, the long tefillos, mi shebairachs, and selling of kibbudim can lead one to start schmoozing. Talking about the new show in shul on Yom Kippur? No good.

I'm all for davening with kavana. But on Yom Kippur, any unnecessary interruptions should be curtailed.

 
At 8/05/2007 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys I offer a free referral service for
Mom or Dad in Los angeles. It is just me so I
give very personal assistance. Let me know if I
can be of some help.
Bobbie Trifon
310 699 3000

Jewish Independent senior living facilities

My Son has a Jewish Singles site:
Jewish matchmaking
and a regular site
singles online

 

Post a Comment

<< Home