Thursday, May 26, 2005

Drooling Over Derek

As far back as I can remember, there was always some girl in my class who was all into Derek Jeter. Apparently, if you're into him, it means you know about baseball, which makes you "cool."

I grew up in a house of only brothers, and I still don't like baseball. These girls who have all sisters and are ironing their hair every day claim to be obsessed with baseball. They think they're all that because they're into Derek Jeter. Personally, I think it's dumb. Obsessed with an actor or singer, that's one thing, but how many frum Bais Yaakov girls do you know that are actually interested in baseball--not just to seem cool. Thought so.

Notice how they're mostly Yankee fans. Because in NY it's cool to root for the Yankees even if you know nothing about baseball or anything else. It seems it's part of being a true New Yorker. Anywhere you go, you can get Yankee merchandise as easily as you can get a bag of chips. My brothers are Mets fans. Sometimes I see a whole bunch of baseball stuff so I figure I'll get them something. Can't. They're all Yankee stuff. The ratio of Yankee memorobilia to Mets must be like 85:1. Seriously.

So these girls think they're cool because they talk about baseball and Derek Jeter. ASk them to explain how baseball is played. Blank stare. Then ask them to show you all their Yankee pins and stickers and iron-on patches.

Besides, Derek Jeter is so out. (And I don't find him too hot either-gasp-I'm not cool) Don't they know Jesse Metcalfe of Desperate Housewives is the new hottie? Get with the program, children.

10 Comments:

At 5/26/2005 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE DEREK JETER!!!!!
sincerley, the guy in the computer lab

 
At 5/26/2005 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, there are three girls in my class who are sincerely into baseball, and not because they think it's cool. They really listen to all the games and follow everything. Of course, I think it's pathetic, but they aren't doing it just to seem cool, so I give them some credit.

 
At 5/27/2005 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish my wife liked baseball. Then she'd watch it with me, which means I'd get to watch it more often.

 
At 5/29/2005 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're brothers are Mets fans! I had no idea!!! We must speak!!!
This is awesome.
Seriously though, I'm not interested in baseball, don't know players names, etc. but have been in Shea Stadium a few times because when my Dad was young and living in Queens they had Season's passes.....he may not be a die-hard Mets fan as my Catholic next door neighbors are, but he is definately a YANKEE HATER!
But I ALWAYS have fights with people about this stuff--every frum person I meet who's talking about the Yankees, wearing Yankees merchandise, or trying to sound cool so they're quoting statistics that they (and I) don't understand.
Whenever I tell anyone that in a few years when the Yankees get worse (gasp) they will turn into Mets fans, they get all defensive and say, "No way! I'm always gonna be loyal"--yeah right...I'll believe it when I see it!
For now: Just get off the badewagon!
--MS

 
At 5/29/2005 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry--I just noticed a typo--I started my previous post with "you're" the word should read, "YOUR" I regret the error and am slightly emnarrassed--Michelle. don't hound me forever now!--MS

 
At 5/31/2005 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really pathetic that these girls will have a crush on someone just because all their friends do.
I guess some girls go crazy when they see a guy in uniform.

 
At 6/02/2005 6:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you meant Derek Lowe.

 
At 6/06/2005 7:57 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Well, the way it works in girls school politics is that there are only a certain number of cliques, and the ones who think they are cool, but they're not all into shopping 24/7. So they think their interest in sports labels them as a tomboy, thereby making them more down-to-earth.

In elementary school, there was one particular girl who went to the games, had every yankee thing possible on her looseleaf, knapsack, and notebooks. She'd come in late because she was watching the game that ended late and all that. She left my school-and the girls she is friends with now, if they show any interest, it's because they think it's cool, but mostly shoppers.

 
At 7/12/2005 12:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a girl from CT and I'm a huge Yankee fan. Not because of DJ is so hot. I actually understand the game and practically watch every game when I can.

 
At 10/10/2006 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my brothers are yankee obsessed but uuuch i hate baseball all those stupid terms long run short run or is it long stop short stop? out field- infeild? marlins drive, what the heck does it all mean

 

Post a Comment

<< Home