Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Anorexia in the Jewish World

This is really a topic that needs a lot more time and attention than I have for it now, but I will make do.

People are finally talking about this! It's a sickness that has plagued the nation from way before Karen Carpenter, to Tracey Gold...straight to Mary-Kate Olsen. I know this is the Jewish site, but you guys know what I mean anyway.

Try walking through the lunchroom in your local Bais Yaakov junior-high school and high school. I remember girls sharing a bag of lettuce for lunch! Or bringing a cup of lettuce with a cucumber for lunch. Crazy junk like that. It scared me so bad.

I have seen anorexic teenage girls, and it's actually a frightening sight. Sometimes people are anorexic but never reach the level of looking like a skeleton--but that's only if someone's smart and saves her in time. Anorexic girls are possessed by the Satan. Now people are saying it's because of media exposure. I agree 100%. Watch one episode of ANYTHING--Friends--Courteney Cox Arquette is a stick. Will & Grace (pre-pregnancy) you can count her ribs when she wears a low-cut shirt. That gives girls something to aspire to.

OKay, so then people say, "What about the people who don't have TVs in their houses?" Nice try. There are anorexic yeshivish people. I actually know one. She'll never read this because to her, the internet is assur.

If a kid's mother tells her she's fat, or not to eat specific things because she'll get fat, she may decide not to eat at all. That's part of the whole "fear of fat" thing. OMG, I could seriously go on and on, and get totally off-topic. So I'll take a breather, and IY"H I'll be back next time I have a minute. Keep on readin', y'all!

2 Comments:

At 11/14/2004 10:45 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Luckily, I was never obsessed with friends, but I did notice that she was closer to healthy-looking later on. And in the final season, when she was a few months pregnant, was when she finally looked normal. Well, whaddya know. We should get together and exchange trivia knowledge.

 
At 11/16/2004 11:29 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Hey Mindy. Just checked out your you-know-what. Email me, we'll talk ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home