Monday, August 02, 2004

Cholov Yisroel Milk

I am often shot down for insisting on buying Chalav Stam milk. "I'd like my milk to last for more than 30 seconds, thank you very much," I politely respond. Then people tell me, "don't you get suspicious why the Chalav Stam milk lasts so much longer? Maybe they add something to it!!"
Legally, it has to be cow's milk. There is a hechsher on the bottle. I am doing my part.
I just want to know what the Cholov Yisroel people are doing to their milk to make it go bad after 1 day.
If we leave Chalav Stam milk in the house over Shabbos, when we come back, it's still drinkable---even sometimes beyond the expiration date. You're lucky if Chalav Yisroel milk makes it to the expiration date--even the NYC one!
Therefore, I insist on buying Chalav Stam.
Some people eat anything Chalav Stam but insist on drinking Cholov Yisrael milk because that's what they're used to. I'll make one exception. ;-)

4 Comments:

At 8/04/2004 6:11 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Dina-you must be my less-evil twin! Let's be friends.
Seriously, thanks for your motivating kind words. I'll try to keep it up, and don't forget to tell your friends about this site. (Shameless self-promotion...)

P.S. I'm engaged to a guy in Law School, who is also a Ben-Torah, despite what I was told in high school.

 
At 8/05/2004 1:31 PM, Blogger Isaac Kaplan said...

Law school and a ben-torah? Accounting and a ben torah? can't be.

They may be good frum Jews, they may mean well, but you can't say they're bnei torah. sorry.

Because you're marrying people that plan on (gasp!) working, you are both horrible terrible people. Girls should only marry learning guys, and working guys don't deserve bais yaakov girls.

BTW, do you think your high school wants a speaker who can give mussar? Based on the above, I think I fit the bill.

 
At 8/12/2004 3:10 PM, Blogger Isaac Kaplan said...

FYI, the last comment was just a joke.

IMH(J)O, everyone has a different tafkid in life. That means some guys have what it takes to succeed in learning, others in law, others in medicine. And a good lawyer who learns whenever he can and does the right things is a whole lot better than a ben torah who slacks off.

 
At 5/16/2007 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,
Regarding the issue with Chalov Yisael not lasting to the code date. There is a Chalov Yisrael milk in Florida called Tevye Farms. It is Chalov Yisrael and lasts 24 days or more. I have keep it in my refrigerator for one month long and it is still great!
What do you make of that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home