Saturday, July 10, 2004

Don't Judge Me, and I Won't Judge You

Unfortunately, since I was born and raised in Brooklyn, judging has become a terrible part of my nature. I see a girl in short sleeves and think, "I bet she didn't daven this morning." But I'm wrong. I know from personal experience
I daven every day, keep shabbos, have Bitachon in Hashem,etc. But I wear slits. Gasp. I wear denim. Gasp.
In high school, I was considered a bum because I didn't confrom to their cookie-cutter. I was demeaned and belittled only because I was honest. I didn't try to fool anyone into thinking I'm someone I'm not. And that bothered my school. A lot.
I was judged for minute things like a too-long skirt, or a thumb ring, but I knew that inside I am a G-d loving, G-d fearing Jew, at least that is definitely my goal. If that's the case, how can I judge others whose physical appearance don't convey those messages?
We're all in the same boat. Don't judge me, and I won't judge you.

There is also the opposite side of it. In the Modern Orthodox community, which most people praise as open-minded, and non-judgemental, I am often ridiculed for covering my elbows and knees. I'm not doing anything wrong, and if you don't want me to judge you for wearing v-neck shirts, and short sleeves, keep your mouth shut. Years ago, a girl asked mockingly, "Ohmygawd, your mom wears a sheitel???" Why should she make me feel bad for doing the right thing?
Once again, you don't judge me, I won't judge you.

1 Comments:

At 7/12/2006 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's normal to feel that you are normal & good & that everyone else is either too frum or too modern. It's also normal to judge people based on appearances. However, although it is normal & everyone does it, it's still wrong. It's something most people have to work on. The difference is that some people know that they need to work on that, & some people don't realize that they're doing anything wrong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home