Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Something Positive! Yay!

A while ago, I reported a pleasant experience at a Shabbos Sheva Brachos that I attended. The new "Machatunim" (boy's parents and girl's parents) certainly deserve each other. As I mentioned, I have known for a while that the girls parents are special people. That shabbos I learned that the boys parents are as well.

In the Kallah's grandfather's speech, he mentioned that every year during Sukkot, the girl who helped with the honeydew became a kallah that year. I muttered something to the effect of, "I know where I'll be sukkot," which made me sound massively desperate to get married, but whatever. It was more for the humor. It was for the kid who was sitting next to me.

The boy's mother turned to look at me. I turned bright red. My mind raced. "I said it too loud. I shouldn't have said it. Why is she looking at me? " Our eyes met, and she smiled at me. I shyly smiled back, and avoided her the rest of the meal because I was so embarrassed.

After betching, she approached the table. She set the cup of wine from Sheva Brachos in front of me, and asked all the girls at the table, "Does anyone here want Sheva Brachos wine?" Pardon my ignorance, but I asked, "Why? Is that a segullah?" She nodded knowingly. I thanked her, took my sip, and passed it around.

This woman never saw me before. She knew nothing about me and my life experiences. She did a seemingly small act of chesed, not knowing how good it made me feel-about her, myself, and about people. (That didn't last TOO long, but I still feel it now) She did something so kind and thoughtful for a total stranger. I was blown away.

So call it boring. Call it pointless. I am simply amazed at this woman's behavior. Most people would feel bad for the idiot who muttered something like that, but they wouldn't do much about it. Maybe they'd smile at her. I doubt they would bring her Sheva Brachos wine, and in the unembarrassing, subtle manner that this woman managed to achieve it. I'm impressed.

17 Comments:

At 11/08/2005 2:21 PM, Blogger SemGirl said...

Its a nice heartwarming story, Michelle, but it reminds me of Yalta wife of Reb Nachman.

Around Pesach time, I heard by the seuda that Daf Yomi was up to a story in Brochos. It seems someone requested that the Cos be sent to Yalta, and the Rav snubbed her and said it wasnt necessary. The Gamarra says she got so angry that she went to store room and smashed 400 barrels of wine.

 
At 11/08/2005 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"So call it boring. Call it pointless."

Actually, I find this to be quite special. Michelle, I'm really glad you brought this up.

I think a big problem in the community is that often times people will shy away from the small chassodim to try to do big things. I guess they figure that they don't have to say gut shabbos to the lonely person in the street because they have their name on a building somewhere. Or because they'll be whipping out the checkbook soon.

Am I saying that such people are better off not doing anything at all? Of course not. Every chessed is a mitzvah, whether it's big or small, or done for the right reasons or not.

A lot of people out there need to take a lesson from this story, and focus on those little chassodim. The ones that might not got give you all the honor and the glory, but that nevertheless will touch someone.

 
At 11/08/2005 4:27 PM, Blogger Y.Y. said...

well if you are in to do things as a segulah i know someone great reb. in flatbush that when her husband still lived whoever came to him shevee shel pesach and asked to become a chussen or kallah they became within a year i know a few girls that went to her and it helped
soooooo if you are interested just let me know

 
At 11/08/2005 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad the whole segulah business is a sham.

 
At 11/08/2005 9:58 PM, Blogger Lost said...

Hey Michelle I miss see you around..we have to talk

 
At 11/09/2005 7:42 PM, Blogger Josh said...

As they say, "from your lips to Gd's ears!"

 
At 11/10/2005 7:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

see-Michelle was right. She writes something nice and nobody comments.

 
At 11/10/2005 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11/10/2005 4:01 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

What did I tell ya?

 
At 11/10/2005 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-)

 
At 11/10/2005 5:26 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Alright y'all-sorry about the whole comment mess up. When I tried that new little option at the top of the page that read, "Moderate Comments" I didn't realize that it wouldn't post anything until I saw it...They should explain those things more clearly... So I kept coming back, and was getting all upset (but gloating at the same time), "See? I write something positive and nobody has the guts to say anything? I shut them all up?" But then when someone brought it to my attention, i fixed it ASAP. So thanks, people.

As for the segullah thing-you're right, my family says the same thing-Segullos are a sham, but you know what? It can't hurt. She put it right in front of me, should I have rejected it and said, "I'm sorry, my family doesn't believe in Segullos"? You never know what can come of these things. Small, easy, hishtadlut.

Again, my apologies.

 
At 11/10/2005 6:32 PM, Blogger Y.Y. said...

feel free to email me @ genoflorio@yahoo.com

 
At 11/10/2005 7:28 PM, Blogger SemGirl said...

Hooray, the comms are up. I was really tired of seeing that big ZERO everytime, I clicked on your link.

 
At 11/11/2005 5:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's with the name change to the site?

 
At 11/13/2005 6:53 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

The name change is just that it's much easier to remember and easier to tell people. I have been meaning to do it for a while, but I was lazy. So I got un-lazy, and did it!

 
At 11/16/2005 6:57 PM, Blogger Josh said...

The name change is also Something Positive!

 
At 1/18/2006 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was really sweet. Thank you for sharing that with us!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home