Saturday, September 03, 2005

Toto, We're Not in Brooklyn Anymore

This Shabbos, I attended yet another Simcha. While it was only 10 short blocks away from the other one, it was the complete opposite of the last one I attended.

One summer, the father of the bride was in Aveilus. He just got up from Shiva and he came to the country. He still gave me such a warm greeting, "Hi, Michelle. How are you?" with a sincere smile-like he always does. You could never tell. He also, Thank G-d, does very well for himself, but drives two simple cars. His house is very nice, but not gawdy or ostentatious. Everything is done with taste and class.

As for the Simcha itself, the food there was obviously of the higher end, but nice people have a right to do that. They're not shoving their money in your face all the time.

There were many speeches during the meal, which made it tedious to sit through. However, unlike the previous one I had been to, everyone was quiet.

One of the grandfathers got up to speak. It was not very engaging, as it was monotonous and long. I looked around the room. Everyone was quiet. Almost everyone was listening. But nobody was talking. I smiled. This crowd [temporarily] restored my faith in people of this generation. I was so happy to see a group of people together that can keep their mouths shut while someone speaks.

This family is so respectful of everyone around them. I mean, how many 40-something year old men ask their friends' children how they are. When we arrived, he asked us each individually how we are and how things are going, and thanked us so much for coming. He takes a genuine interest in everyone's well-being. That's unique. His speech was so sincere. He thanked Hashem with a full heart, and spoke with love for Torah and learning. How this guy survives in Brooklyn is beyond me. The same goes for his wife and children. All so special, and respectful of everyone around them. I have never heard anyone in that family ever say anything bad about anyone. And I've known them for over 10 years.

Everyone was just accepted. It felt like one big family. Everyone was dressed B'Tznius. Nobody looked whorish or showy. The girls were all friendly, but in a nice aidel way. None of the teenagers were loud and rowdy. Everyone was quiet during the speeches. I felt I was far far away from Brooklyn.

Just wait till the next Simcha. I have a feeling this one was one-of-a-kind.

4 Comments:

At 9/03/2005 10:33 PM, Blogger SemGirl said...

Thats beautiful. BH I am have been priviedged to attend many kidushim and affairs like that in Monsey.

I am willing that the father probably learned in Staten Island or MTJ by Reb Moshe, or by Reb Yaacov, as opposed to a "designer name-brand" Yeshiva.

 
At 9/04/2005 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

May Hashem continue to bless them in all His many ways. They certainly deserve it.

 
At 9/20/2005 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

excuse me..er what is whory?

 
At 1/11/2006 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds really, really nice! I don't think I've ever been to a simcha like that, but I'll keep hoping!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home