Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Back to School

So, I was all excited to start Seminary (for the 3rd time). By now, I can probably GIVE the orientation speech. But I sat through it anyway.

I was looking forward to seeing my teachers again, but they taught exactly the same thing they taught last year and two years ago. It was actually funny watching these kids scribble furiously while I casually jotted down things that struck me semi-important. People, plan a new lesson for crying out loud. It'll be interesting though, because every year there are different people with different views, and they will steer the discussions in a different path than last years girls did, I believe.

After I acquainted myself with a few girls, one asked innocently, "Are you from Brooklyn?" "Guess." I replied, with a smirk. "No." She said, all sure of herself. "I am, actually, but I just love hearing that I'm not." I laughed. That was a good one.

There was a kid sitting next to me wearing a Polo Ralph Lauren shirt, which I have the same (from T.J. Maxx--really cheap, trust me), so to make conversation, I told her with a friendly smile, "I was gonna wear that shirt today--good I didn't..." I seriously had it on, and decided I looked Chassidish, so I scrapped that plan. So she asks, "This one? or the one from Old Navy?" Alright kid. What does it matter. Someone's trying to be friendly, and all you do is give her attitude? You think I stand for that? I replied, with a slight edge, "No-Polo Ralph Lauren like yours," and then she defended, "not like I care or anything..." So I consoled, "Don't worry I have a few of the Old Navy ones too." See, now had that been all, I'd deem it insignificant--just a misunderstanding--and move on with my merry day.

Then the kid decided to argue with the teacher that was saying the exact same thing she was, she just didn't let the teacher finish---rather, start--her sentence to let her know. She was all passionate-into it. Usually people are mellow the first day--if this is mellow, I'm movin my desk far, far away. This is what I get stuck with next to me? And from the Hayligeh Lakewood??

She reminds me of a girl who was in my class last year who yelled at the Rebbeim and asked loudly, "Where do you know that from? Which Sefer?Show me. I wanna see," and would interrupt either to show of what she thought was brilliance, or to ask a really dumb question. Whatever happened to sitting down, shutting up, and taking notes??

14 Comments:

At 9/07/2005 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A real enlightening blog. Don't stop now. Here's the resolve a lot of people are searching for; how to buy & sell everything, like new york auto show on interest free credit; pay whenever you want.

 
At 9/08/2005 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting stuff, but I'm not 100% sure what the point of this piece was.

Stuff like this goes on almost anywhere; all of us can remember the nerd complaining about his 99, or the gunners who think they know everything, or the rich kid who thinks he/she is hot stuff. Part of school is dealing with jerks, I guess.

And in almost every school I've been to, there have been plenty of nice people, who are smart, humble, and don't feel the need to advertise it. I'm sure you can find someone like you in your class, Michelle. Otherwise, time to find a different sem.

 
At 9/08/2005 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heheh i know ppl like that.loudmouths

 
At 9/08/2005 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, it's your third year of seminary and you still have such high expectations about your classmates?! Michelle,.....

 
At 9/08/2005 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michelle is very idealistic....

 
At 9/09/2005 10:58 AM, Blogger SemGirl said...

I feel bad for you, Michelle. After one year of Sem, I said been there, done that. And then you have to deal with this b**** to boot. Tell her to take her attitude and go back to Nordstroms . I admire you for still trying to be friendly, despite it all.

 
At 9/09/2005 12:54 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Alright-- now, as for which people say hi--it's usually the girls whose skirts are doody-length and loose blouses that are nice. Like, today--one kid that was dressed like that--my shirt went up like a CM and she looked horrified and quietly hinted it to me--I thought that was so nice. She also asked everyone on the first day, "Hi, What's your name?" She's nice and friendly. Today she passed around a paper for everyone to write their cell #s on. I thought that was so nice. And I also acknowledge that there are plenty of denim-skirters that won't talk to me.

It's not that I have high expectations of these people, but I was just annoyed by her. And truthfully, last year's class was so different. I think this class is gonna be great-they want to get to know one another.

About the arguing for the sake of it--That's for fun. This kid was just obnoxious. I don't like her. She stares at me. Whatever.

 
At 9/10/2005 6:30 PM, Blogger SemGirl said...

Michelle, Im happy most of the girls are nice and friendly. As for that one who stares, etc.. Don't sweat it sounds like she has issues..

 
At 9/11/2005 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In your third year in sem, you still wear shirts that rise and show your stomach? Explain that one, Michelle.

 
At 9/11/2005 9:30 PM, Blogger Lost said...

anon - woosh.. attitude. sometimes the shirt moves.. call it gravity. it happens. it has nothing to do with seminary. chill out dude

 
At 9/12/2005 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree with the "gravity" comment because girls who truly care about tzniut are somehow able to avoid this problem. Unless you purposely want to show off, there's no excuse. If there's a good one, let's hear it.

 
At 9/12/2005 6:27 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

FYI, it was less than a CM..I don't even know if my stomach was showing, but it was on its way.
I was told that the curriculum was changing this year. Plus, last year was diff from 2 years ago-there's a sem and post-sem.
Also, don't give me this BS about 3rd year. At least I am spiritual and give a darn about my inside, not primping and prissing 24/7 like everyone else my age.

 
At 9/13/2005 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not the shortness of the shirt, it's how far the waist of your skirt drops ;)

 
At 1/10/2006 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You get girls like that in any school. I can't stand them. The difference is that there are some people who ask questions because they really want to know, & there are some people who ask because they either want to argue or they want to ask "smart" questions, but they're not really interested in the answers. It's the people in the second catagory who drive me up the wall. I did go to school with someone who fits into the first catagory & she sometimes got in trouble because people thought she just liked to argue. She was actually looking for the answers & I admire her for that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home