Monday, August 15, 2005

Hitting a New Lo(pez)

In my ever blossoming bungalow colony, they have started to distribute weekly newsletters to inform us all of the progress we are making in all areas.

For example, they listed the practically self-voted board members, and again tried to weasel more money out of us, claiming that the place has been running in the red for a few years, blah blah blah. Ironic how these filthy-rich Lexus and Caddy drivers can manage their own money but nobody else's.

But anyway, that is not even my point. Of the four page rampage, today I choose to focus on a short paragraph that read something like this, "To those of you who have housekeepers who like to use the pool, please be aware that some women find it uncomfortable in their presence, and that we are in the midst of arranging alternate hours for these women."

Whoa. Well, this place has had this nice collection of "housekeepers" for the last 6-7 years, I'd say. Once they built the new houses, there were many many more to speak of. Because, of course, why come to the country without someone to raise your children, cook your dinners (I wonder how many are ovehr Bishul Akum--I hope none!) and clean up after you? I mean, what would be the point in that?? But anyway, in years past, these women did not dream of using the pool. In fact, the only way to know whose kid was whose was at the pool. The maid would drop the kids off at the pool for half-an-hour while the mother got reacquainted with her own child. On the days she wasn't shopping, of course.

But now I hear reports of the maids taking the kids swimming. Better yet, they put the kids in the kiddie pool, and swim a few laps. Now I thought about the fact that there are complaints. I don't think there is a large enough percentage of people who don't have maids that their complaints would be significant. That means that perhaps there are women who have maids and are complaining. That tells me that they consider the maids as people only when beneficial to them. They are people when they are raising their children, or when they give the maids dinner, (or, rather, when the maids take their own dinner--silly me!) but when it comes to them swimming like other people, suddenly, they are not allowed.

I understand people feeling uncomfortable with the maids in the pool, and I don't understand how that line was crossed in the first place. They couldn't say no then either. Maybe one maid enjoyed it so much, she spread the word to the others. But now that the situation has come up, kicking them out is offensive. But then again, maybe these people need breaks from their maids. Or maybe that's where they gossip about their maids.

Anyway, rumor has it one of the maids found the letter, and is able to read English well enough to comprehend that they're talking about her, and that she is planning on filing a discrimination lawsuit with her friends.

That, ladies and gentelmen, is what I call, "hitting a new Lo."

9 Comments:

At 8/15/2005 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michelle, you seem to have a great deal of anger towards these Spanish maids, when in reality, they are doing nothing wrong. Put yourself in their shoes for a moment. They need jobs, and they found suckers to pay them handsomely for them, so why shouldn't they enjoy themselves? And what's wrong if they swim with everyone else? Is it because they'll dirty up the pool? What about the little kids urinating in the pool? Give the maids a break. I hope they sue and win.

 
At 8/15/2005 6:33 PM, Blogger Elisheva said...

I don't see Michelle has any anger towards the maids. She seems to have anger - and very well placed - towards people who are too lazy and selfish to bring up their own children!

Michelle, you are so right on this. It is so sad how these women have time to shop, yent, shop and swim, yet their poor children are not important enough for them to raise themselves. Rather, the maid can do that.

Very sad indeed.

Shalom

 
At 8/16/2005 7:15 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Burry-Elisheva got it straight. You know me better than that to completely misconstrue my words. Who do you think is the one always saying hi and engaging in conversation with the maids. That would be me.
I thought the reader would gather from my tone that I have no sympathy for those who put themselves in this position by treating their maids like slaves.

 
At 8/16/2005 7:07 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Michelle - I guess some readers don't pick up on sarcasm. I'm just curious, do you think that they don't want the maids swimming because they aren't Jewish or because they are "just" maids. I'm curious what the source of discrimination is here.

It's funny. The way you write, you sound like you could be me. But the world you right about couldn't be any more foreign to me.

Keep on informing.

 
At 8/17/2005 7:31 AM, Blogger SemGirl said...

I'm so glad to refind your blog. It disapeared from my browser, and Y-Chatroom's long list of links appears to of vanished . Finally, I went thru my entire inbox.

Anyway, I totally agree with you, you didn't realize that BP has to replant itself wherever it goes. Why should you take your children swimming, when you can sit around by the card tables, do your nails and talk Loshon Hara.

 
At 8/21/2005 5:39 PM, Blogger Editor said...

great blog - keep it up!

 
At 9/14/2005 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

one small bungalow colony with so many problems lol

 
At 9/15/2005 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand people feeling uncomfortable with the maids in the pool, and I don't understand how that line was crossed in the first place.

I don't understand this. Why shouldn't anyone who pays to get in swim in the pool? Is the concern that the children are being left unsupervised? What if a maid comes in on her free time to swim, would that also be a problem?

Kol Tuv

Larry

 
At 1/30/2006 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Great Blog! Need any information on cleaning Check out my web site kiwi carpet cleaning it relates to kiwi carpet cleaning

 

Post a Comment

<< Home