Monday, June 20, 2005

Another Graduation

Yesterday, I attended another high school's graduation. In the beginning, the principal told us that they usually announce each girl's job, but this class requested that they don't do that. Good for them. I like that. They all knew what they did. Their families knew what they did. Why hurt the girls who were never chosen for anything (uh-hum, like MOI)? So that's the positive for the day.
Now, one thing I don't understand is that they told the girls to wear short skirts. (Not mini-skirts, but not to down to their ankles, or more accurately, 4 inches above the ankles) But the gowns were long, and-GASP-had slits in them. The zipper started about 7-10 inches from the bottom, so the rest was left open. As the girls walked up the steps, the gown did the same thing a skirt with a slit does-showed their legs. And, get this--their pet peeve about slits is that it opens and closes and that flashing image draws attention--- well, what do you think it was like as they walked up the steps, "now you see 'em, now you don't..." and they were all wearing nude stockings.

There were men in the audience, so they seriously have no argument...even though they always argue that you have to be b'tznius even when there are no men around. Jeez, I coulda worn my denim skirt with the slit in the front, and they had no right to say a word!

Okay, but think of it this way. What's the solution? Say they didn't allow gowns for that reason, people would tell them to chill out. If they would have the gowns specially made, it would cost more money, and the girls were be resentful, and think, "get a freakin' life, people."
Ok, I just realized something. Duh. At my own graduation we had to wear a long black skirt, or a uniform skirt...(same thing) it totally makes sense. Ok, so my school did one thing right.

I also thought it was weird that they had a hebrew speech, a yiddish speech, and about 4 english speeches, by the students alone, and a gazillion others. Yawn.

Then, they called the girls up by row, randomly, and said their names quickly as they strolled across the stage. So I thought it was impersonal, but my friend liked it because this way you couldn't tell one from the next, no one was pointed out (actually the Rabbi said about one girl, "I'm gonna miss her. " Don't ask questions, people.) to be more special, or anything else. At ours, we had a female calling out the names and we each received our individual kisses, from her and the others on the stage, which I thought was more heartfelt.

But then again, the kiss was following the silence that shouted my faliure. Plus, each girl got a different kiss. Some were warm, some were forced... the usual. I think mine was warm because by then, (when they wouldn't have to deal with me anymore) they came to realize my sincerity and my value for frumkeit.

8 Comments:

At 6/20/2005 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bigger issue I have is this: Isn't wearing a gown (and cap, in some schools) chukas hagoyim? If not, why not?

 
At 6/20/2005 2:50 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I was actually thinking of that too, but I think that's going too far and will again create resentment in the girls like, "How far will these people go for crying out loud?" "Why bother trying to do anything..." and, "Get a freakin' life, people," and that whole resentful teenage attitude that sounds a little familiar.

 
At 6/21/2005 5:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That may happen, but halacha is halacha. If they girls don't like it, too freakin' bad.

 
At 6/21/2005 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just graduated. On the 'graduation program', you know the fancy papar that goes on everyone's seat, they wanted to write each girls' name and the seminary they will be attending. we adamently refused. it's disgusting of them to point out who got into the supposed "good seminaries". And I believe that was the school's goal..to show off the girls who got into good places. but yes...we refused and they listened to us.

 
At 6/23/2005 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i saw a link to your blog over at "yiddishechatrooms", so i came to check it out, you are right on the button, keep it up girl

 
At 6/25/2005 6:34 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Whoa, that's going really far! Which seminaries? What does that accomplish?? Then they make the kids who aren't going to seminary look like a bunch of idiots. I didn't apply to any of the seminaries in Israel for a wide range of reasons, but I am so glad I didn't have to handle all that rejection.

And Thanks :-)

 
At 6/29/2005 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The more MO schools that I and my friends attended usually like to brag about which colleges their students got into, but they don't name names. Instead they will just write "our graduates are attending these colleges" and list them.

 
At 7/13/2005 5:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

saying "freakin'" is also chukas hagoyim, foo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home