Sunday, September 10, 2006

Bawk, Bawk

As I trudge through my Journalism major in Brooklyn College, I have subscribed to the New York Times, since I am required to read the A and B sections for one class, and the C section for another.

Last week, I picked up a Torah Times for my mother, on the way to the train station. On the way home, she read, "The whole chicken episode in Monsey..." it was foreign to me. "What is he talking about?" I leaned over at a red light. My mother had no idea either. Neither did my father. Until I walked into the house the next day with a New York Times. Hurray, two Chassidim made it into the Metro Section. "Ah-ha! Ma!! Check it out!" I pointed to the article, which makes reference to the blog Vas Is Naies, which received over 400 comments on this topic within 2 hours.

For those like me who have been unaware until now, apparently someone sold Treife chickens to a Supermarket in Monsey, that had the Kosher metal thingies on them. When they were tested for salt, they were rendered Treif. It seems the guy who runs the deal didn't pay his supplier on time, and replaced his Kosher chickens with non-Kosher ones.

A similar situation occured in a Brooklyn take-out store about 1-2 years ago. But I think those chickens were Kosher, not Glatt, or something like that, so it wasn't as dramatic.

So can we trust anyone? What was his motivation? Money? Who was the one behind this, really?

I mean, you go to your kosher supermarket, and just take for granted that what you're buying is kosher. Oh, Gosh, it better not become like the Sheitels--nobody eat chicken anymore because you don't know where it came from, etc.

Can we trust anyone? And What's Next?

7 Comments:

At 9/09/2006 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just for the record, the incident that happened 1-2 years ago when the "chickens were Kosher, not Glatt, or something like that"- the term Glatt only applies to meat, not chicken. But that's besides the point.
Michelle, I can't believe you didn't hear about this thing until now..

 
At 9/09/2006 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reb aharon leib shteiman, and reb chaim kanivesky, did not hear about this chicken scandel, till friday morning as well.

With regard to trusting anyone, its hard to say...
the question is if one can even trust themselves!!

 
At 9/10/2006 1:05 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

s/t to say--I know, but there was still an issue. I heard about it last week, but if the Torah Times gets to it before I do, you know something's screwey. Although the Times had it the day AFTER i found out.

kdry--Yeah, someone mentioned about kashering their Pesach stuff too.

Did this person thing he'd get away with it? Nobody would notice?

 
At 9/10/2006 1:06 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

*Think, sorry

 
At 9/10/2006 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watch the Jews turn this into an excuse to raise the prices - "We need more supervision, so we have to charge more to cover the costs."

 
At 9/10/2006 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Monsey and have probably been eating Treif for years. This is very different than selling non-Glatt meat. You make this sound so trivial, but to most of us in Monsey this is devastating.

 
At 9/11/2006 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While this is a terrible thing, obviously, there is a simple way to avoid getting snared in it. Don't buy repackaged meat/chicken, which this stuff was (and the stuff from a few years ago was too).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home