Thursday, December 29, 2005

Channuka in the Brooklyn Streets

On a walk home one evening, I noticed an abundance of lit Menorahs in the windows,B"H, and I was filled with a sense of pride. I realized that the rest of the year, as hard as we try (as much as we deny it) to emulate the Goyim, we still have our Judaism inside. We may dress like them, try to eat like them, consume their entertainment, and for the most part, aim to "fit in."

But this time of year, we are "forced" to take pride in our Jewish identities. When people pass by and see our Menorahs lit, they know we are Jewish. We don't display Santa and Reindeer on our lawns, and there is no wreath on our doors. It is now, with our beautifully lit Menorahs that we declare, "I'm Jewish, whether you like it or not, and don't you forget that miracle that G-d did for my people so many years ago."

It is this act, like many other religious things we do, that unify us all. All sorts of Menorahs in the various houses, no matter how fancy, simple, big, small, or anything else, it unifies us as a people. It's reminiscent of the stereotypical example of a Minyan, where there are men from all walks or life coming together to do a holy Mitzvah. Although it's cliche, when you think about it, it's a beautiful, proud site, and I am happy to contribute to it.

6 Comments:

At 12/29/2005 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So three days left till we can go back to being just like the goyim....

 
At 12/29/2005 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey michelle,u got some good points here, and i agree, esp. the first time i heard this article from u.i feel like we gotta know how to separate from the goyim and not try to be like them cuz thats wut always gets us into trouble in the first place...

 
At 12/30/2005 5:31 AM, Blogger Y.Y. said...

on chanuka i realize how many jews live in my neighborhood
thats awesome

 
At 12/31/2005 5:10 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Thanks. Yeah--I was nominated! Elster-thanks for bringing that to my attention, and now, please, everyone vote for me!! Please! Tell your friends....I gotta campaign now!

 
At 12/31/2005 9:21 PM, Blogger SemGirl said...

Its the most wonderful time of the year..la la la di la..

Sorry I couldnt resist..

 
At 1/31/2006 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember looking at an apartment building on Ocean Parkway & being awed with the sight-most of the windows were lit up, not with colored light bulbs & reindeer, but with burning menorahs. I thought it was beautiful. Now if you want to see something really stunning, go to Israel!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home