Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Happy Belated Blogaversary!!

Something's gotta be wrong if you forget your own birthd--well, Blogaversary!

It's been four years, folks.

FOUR (4) years. When I read some of my old posts, I think about how my thoughts on some issues have changed; and how others have barely evolved. Maybe it's the remains of some Bais Yaakov kool-aid, or ... um, can I get back to you on that?

Four years ago, I had just finished my first year in Seminary, and was prepared to begin the next year, and I was knee-deep in Brooklyn College. If I'm not mistaken, I still thought kollel was the ideal, and it was just a level for me to "aspire to."

Four years ago, I had high hopes. I thought things would go well. I guess they still can.

Four years of bitching and moaning has done wonders for my skin. Try It!

Here are a few things I've learned since I started this blog many moons ago:




  • Remember to tell people how much they mean to you on a regular basis
  • Don't base blog posts on people who actually read it!! (Sorry)

  • Positive, happy-natured posts receive either no feedback, or some mocking comments

  • Negative posts can elicit more comments; some personal attacks

  • If someone doesn't know what "Brooklyny" means, they probably are...oh, wait, I knew that already.
  • Follow your gut about your make-or-breaks when dating (Yes, I am saying that despite the fact that I am still single.)
  • Don't try to understand others' plight; don't expect them to understand yours
  • Many of the Yated letters are fabricated, (but are still good fodder)
  • Don't forget to renew your library books when you're on vacation
  • Never disagree with a Shadchan. Even respectfully. She might never call you back
  • Always have your Shidduch resume ready to be e-mailed at a moment's notice (but don't expect to hear anything back from them.)
  • Find the positive in people, things, and situations...(I have learned it; just doesn't make it to the blog...see above)
  • LG cell phones have a crappy battery
  • Don't bother shopping in H & M if you're neither flat-butted, nor well-endowed, no matter how cute the stuff looks in the window
That's right, folks, I learned these very important life lessons the hard way so you don't have to.
All in the past four years. If that isn't wisdom, I don't know what is.

11 Comments:

At 7/15/2008 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol, happy blogoversarry - here's to many more.

 
At 7/15/2008 2:50 PM, Blogger David5Ts said...

Your blog rocks-- keep it up!! Happy Blogoversary!

 
At 7/15/2008 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does your change of mind regarding kollel mean you have changed your position about A Kollel Man in Chairem? :)

 
At 7/15/2008 7:45 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Thanks, and thanks.

No; my position on that has not changed, since I think that specific man is quite worthy of the Kollel label, and is a sincere man with pure intentions. He did not deserve to be put in Cheirem, but I am sure there are people who consider themselves "kollel" who don't come close to this man's caliber.

 
At 7/18/2008 6:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's that piece in question, from August 2005.

A Kollel Man? In CHEREM???

I've been ticked off before, but now I am outraged. My temper flares as I type this. In my "bungalow colony, " they are doing some condo/co-op conversion thing to save some money on taxes. Understandable.

Now, believe it or not, there are a few fine, Ehrliche, yeshivish families left in my place. The ones who were there from 15 years ago-before we were- shall we say- invaded by these, um, yeah, people? I can count these sincere people on one hand, but B"H they're there. I'm proudly part of that crowd--nice, hardworking, honest people.

When we were invaded, this new developer came and promised us the world. Of course, they were all a load of garbage, and he did not fulfill his commitments. When it came time to sign more papers, people were skeptical because of the negative experience we had previously. So, they had a hard time getting the "old timers," as we are called, to sign.

One family, who is real Chashuv, an honest, sincere Kollel family (who bought the house- with a lot of help -many years ago when they were half the price) has some complaints. To protect their ID, I won't specify it, but it is about Tznius, and can be fixed with a saw, a hammer, and some nails. This man would not hurt a fly if you paid him. If he is complaining about something that is so important, how can he go unheard? So he is one of the holdouts, (the last one, I believe.) Now I don't know if that is his only reason for not signing. But the way I know him, I trust he is doing the right thing. He must have asked a Rav and is doing this for a legit reason. A man who is learning in Kollel for more than 20 years with Bli Ayen Hora a large family, is sincere--and will not cheat anyone, and would not hold 95 other people like this if he wasn't advised to do so by someone chashuv. He could have left Kollel after child #10 was born, gotten a job, and driven up in a Lexus like everyone else, but he is still learning in Kollel and living a simple life.

In the shul this week, there was a sign that basically put this man in Cherem. Nobody is allowed to talk to him or interact with his family. This Chashuv Talmid Chacham--(who nobody ever spoke to anyway)--is in CHEREM????????????? Don't these idiots understand that it is HIS Limud Torah that allows the world to go round?? That lets them live their empty shallow lives?? Where is their appreciation for Torah? How can Jews treat another Jew like this??? Especially such a gentle, honest, learned man! How can they let that sign hang in the shul? How do these beasts sleep at night knowing what they are doing to someone? How do you think this man feels when he sees his name in big, bold letters, and he is not to be spoken to??

Keep in mind, the amount of money they plan to save is $1,000 a year. Yes, to some that is significant, but to those who pay $16,000 for landscaping IN THE COUNTRY can spare the thousand dollars, and this man's kavod--not even kavod---dignity!!! $1,000 to these people is chump change. Although I understand, you want to save it if you can. I wonder if they'd just fix that thing, if he'd sign, and that project costs less than $1,000 anyway.

I wish I could show you all what a special family they are. How I know for sure what he is doing is within Da'as Torah. He wouldn't have it any other way.

OMG I am too enraged to complete my thought. But what do you all think about this??

 
At 7/18/2008 7:43 AM, Blogger halfshared said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7/19/2008 10:00 PM, Blogger SemGirl said...

4 years. Has it been that long.. Wow.. Tempus Fugit...

 
At 7/20/2008 6:19 PM, Blogger Jacob Da Jew said...

"# Negative posts can elicit more comments; some personal attacks "

Agreed!

Happy B-Versary!

 
At 8/01/2008 7:12 AM, Blogger Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

Happy Belated Blogaversary, thanx for sharing all that you have learned over your four years of Blogging. That was some great advice there.

I have a LG phone and your right, the battery does seem to go quicker than my old phone.

Unfortunately that's true about negative posts eliciting more comments. But I wouldn't say that means you have to post negative stuff to satisfy the readers. Like you said "Don't base blog posts on people who actually read it".

 
At 8/05/2008 2:07 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

happy blogversary! four more years! four more years!

 
At 8/18/2008 2:06 PM, Blogger Mindy Schaper said...

Mazal Tov, Mazal Tov. True wisdom at its best, Michelle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home